- Intact female guinea pigs are “sows” and intact males are “boars”.
- Mature boars have actually distinct scrotal pouches and big testes.
- Male guinea pigs have a few sex that is accessory, including big, paired seminal vesicles or vesicular glands, which may be recognised incorrectly as uterine horns.
- Puberty does occur at around 2 months in females and between 2-3 months in men.
- The symphysis that is pubic within the last few times of maternity.
- Separation associated with the symphysis that is pubic be insufficient in sows bred after 7-8 months of age and dystocia can lead to him or her. Other possible factors behind dystocia consist of obesity and fetal size that is large.
- Sows frequently give delivery to 2-4 big, precocial pups. Other rodent types generally have actually large litters.
- Pregnancy toxemia is definitely a crucial reason behind perinatal mortality in guinea pigs. This problem is frequently noticed in primiparous, overweight sows in belated gestation. The prognosis is frequently guarded. Reduce the danger of being pregnant toxemia by motivating workout, preventing obesity, and minimizing stress in the sow that is pregnant.
- Unilateral or bilateral ovarian cysts are quite typical, especially in older sows.
- Ovariohysterectomy or ovariectomy is preferred to avoid the growth of ovarian cysts as well as other reproductive issues in non-breeding friend sows.
Guinea pigs are helpful in reproductive studies simply because they share numerous reproductive faculties with people (Fig 1). 26 Like people, guinea pigs have a very hemochorial placenta, by which maternal bloodstream is available in direct connection with the fetal chorion, also similar trophoblast invasion habits and comparable uterine vasculature. 20 , 23 , 26 The guinea pig’s gestation duration can be split into trimesters, analogous towards the condition that is human. 26 needless to say, some popular features of guinea pig reproductive anatomy and physiology are distributed to other users of purchase Rodentia, along with other features are unique for this species that is special. This short article ratings structure and physiology regarding the guinea pig reproductive tract and summarizes some clinically significant medical issues.
Figure 1.Guinea pigs (Cavia porcellus) are helpful in a lot of studies that are reproductive.
Intact guinea that is male, or “boars”, enter puberty between 70-90 times, nonetheless men start to show intimate behavior, such as for example mounting, at 30 days of age. 9 , 17 , 23 At 2 months, boars start to ejaculate while mounting. 23 Expression of intimate behavior and development that is physical dramatically suppressed in the event that boar is housed having its mom and/or siblings. 11
Boars are generally bigger than females, with both sexes having a solitary couple of inguinal mammae. 5 Mature boars have big, paired testes, that are situated on either region of the perineum in distinct, superficial scrotal sacs (Fig 2). 5 , 9 , 23 The testicles are frequently completely descended to the scrotum by 81 times. 2 If the testes never have descended by 4 months of age, the guinea pig should be thought about cryptorchid. 9 The canals that are inguinal available for a lifetime. 9 , 19 to avoid herniation post-castration, numerous clinicians start using a shut strategy or a modified available method, where in actuality the tunica is roofed into the suture which is used to connect from the spermatic cable and vessels. 32
Figure image that is 2.Gross of testicle (arrow) in an adult boar (Cavia porcellus). The epididymis lies over the surface that is dorsolateral of testis. The tail associated with epididymis provides increase to your ductus deferens. Credit: Drury Reavill, DVM, DABVP (Avian Training), DACVP. Click image to enlarge.
Clinical Suggestion: Although large, paired testes are unmistakeable in mature boars, sex identification could be challenging in young pups. In the event that testicles aren’t apparent, sexing are facilitated by putting pressure that is gentle the beds base regarding the prepuce to partially extrude your penis. 23
The S-shaped penis comprises of a human anatomy and glans. Guinea pigs have an os penis, that will be discovered in the dorsal area of this whole period of the glans. 9 , 19 Like other hystricomorph rodents, the penis even offers moment, saw-toothed white spurs arranged dorsolaterally in 2 synchronous lines through the urethral orifice to your glans. There’s also an intromittent sac on the ventral area associated with glans penis. 9 During erection, the sac everts and two styles that are horny. 5 , 9 , 23 the big event among these 3-5 mm long projections is unknown. 9
Male reproductive glands include the seminal vesicles (vesicular glands), coagulating glands, bulbourethral glands, as well as the prostate (Fig 3). 5 , 27 A rudimentary preputial gland may additionally be contained in the boar. 9